Stepping on the treadmill or elliptical machine every day can get boring. Next time you hit the gym switch things up and even get an even more rewarding workout using a stair climber.
HOW TO USE THE STAIR CLIMBER PROPERLY
This machine can be extremely efficient for building muscle or losing fat. If you want to get the most out of your stair climber workout, follow the tips below:
- Don’t hold the side rails. Holding the side rails makes your workout easier. Let your hands swing back and forth. Keeping your hands free will actually help improve your balance.
- Maintain an upright posture. Hunching over when using the stair climber strains the back. Keep your back straight and face forward.
- Feel free to add weights. Grabbing a pair of dumbbells can make your workout more challenging.
- Skip a step. I usually skip one stair when climbing regular stairs. You can use the same strategy when using the machine. This move is perfect for fit people who want to take their workout to the next level.
6 REASONS TO USE THE STAIR CLIMBER
Now that you know how to use a stair climber correctly, here are some compelling reasons to add it to your workout routine.
1. It will build your leg and butt muscles.
Skip other cardio machines if you want to build lower body muscles. The stair climber is more effective, since it has a wider range of motion and forces you to support your entire body weight with one leg. It mainly activates the quadriceps and your glutes.
2. Stair climber can ease lower-back pain.
You may want to opt for the stair climber instead of the treadmill if you have lower back pain. Research shows that this machine can ease lower back pain, since it takes pressure off of the back by activating the glutes.
However, you may want to skip the stair climber if you have knee pain. Use these stretches to ease your knee pain, and opt for the elliptical, the bike or walking on the treadmill instead.
3. Stair climber may help you lose weight.
Combining strength training with cardio is the best workout strategy for weight loss. This machine will give you this combination.
You will end up building muscle and burning fat at the same time, but this doesn’t mean you should ignore strength training. Use push-ups and hand walkouts will help build your upper body strength.
4. A stair climber workout is challenging.
Easy workouts are not very rewarding. You have to challenge yourself, if you want to get the most out of your workouts. This machine will force you to work harder, making you feel more satisfied after your workout.
5. It helps build core strength.
This exercise activates two core muscles, the glutes, and lower back muscles. Keeping your torso upright while using the machine will also strengthen your core muscles.
6. Stair climber improves your cardiovascular health.
The stair climber will raise your heart rate, which consequently strengthens your heart. This machine also makes it easier to perform other cardio exercises such as running and jumping rope.