If you haven’t finished your shopping yet, here are some last-minute gifts to purchase for family and friends that won’t add to clutter. Keep in mind when making your purchases, it’s a great idea to support locally owned businesses.
• Gift cards: The perfect gift for the person who has everything. From stores, restaurants and gas stations to spas and nail salons, it’s easy to find a terrific gift for everyone on your shopping list.
• Edible gifts: Keep clutter at bay by purchasing edible gifts such as candy, fruit, Italian cookies, wine, fudge, jellies. The options are endless. Create your own themed gift baskets and fill them with items the person you are giving them to will be happy to receive. My favorite is to do a candy-themed basked for a child or teenager.
• Books: The wonderful thing about giving the gift of a book is that the recipient can then share it with others after they’ve read it. Books also can be donated to your local library or senior center.
• Magazine subscriptions: This also is a great gift for the avid reader on your list. There are literally hundreds of magazines published monthly, so there is bound to be one for almost everyone on your list. Magazines also can be donated after they’re read, so it’s another gift that can easily be shared.
• Memberships and event tickets: Giving the gift of a membership is fun gift idea that can help avoid clutter. Consider memberships such as the Broadway Utica or the Utica Zoo. Tickets to local sporting, art or music events are gifts of experiences that provide lasting memories.
• Donations: Giving the gift of a charitable donation in someone’s name or honor it a perfect way to show you care. We have so many wonderful nonprofits in our area that do terrific work to help those in need and would welcome a monetary donation in any amount.